When I think of my grandma, the first word that comes to mind is style. She was always impeccably dressed and was even the head buyer for her small town’s department store! When she moved into her own home in her later years, she didn’t just settle; she turned it into an artful and elegant showplace that visitors came from miles around to see. Take some design cues from your stylish grandma with these eight tips on how to decorate your home like she would.
Pick Colors Carefully
Your grandmother always had impeccable taste, so when it comes to choosing colors for your home, it’s best to take her advice. After all, she’s been around a lot longer than you have and knows a thing or two about style. Here are four reasons why you should choose your colors carefully
1) Colors can affect mood.
2) Choosing the right color can make your house feel more spacious or intimate.
3) Color can be used to set a theme in your room (such as using red in an office).
4) Colors work better with certain furniture styles.
Choose Quality over Quantity
Your grandmother always chose quality over quantity. She would rather have a few well-made pieces that would last for decades than a bunch of cheap items that would fall apart after a few years. And she was right! Cheap, mass-produced items are not only bad for the environment, but they also don’t add anything to your home. They’re just taking up space.
Go for Functionality over Gimmicks
- Go for timeless pieces that will last for years, not just trends that will be out of style in a few months.
- Quality over quantity – buy fewer pieces that are well-made and will stand the test of time.
- Think about how each piece of furniture will be used and where it will go before you buy it.
- Add personal touches to make your home unique to you – your grandmother probably had a lot of family heirlooms on display.
Don’t Let Trends Dictate What You Do
Your home should be a reflection of your personal style, not what’s popular at the moment. Trends come and go, but if you stick to what you love, your home will always be beautiful. Don’t fret about colors clashing when you put pieces together – it can make for an interesting design. Pair antiques with modern pieces, or mix colors and patterns. Never fear mixing different textures in your decorating choices – remember that a rug with wool and silk is just as trendy as one made of only natural fibers! Go ahead, throw those old pillows on the floor or hang that mirror in the hallway sideways!
Display Inspirational Pieces
Your grandmother always had impeccable taste, so why not take a cue from her when it comes to decorating your home? Here are eight ways to get the vintage-chic look that your grandma would approve of.
1) Frame inspirational pieces in black and white;
2) add plenty of plants to every room;
3) hang strings of pearls or chandeliers on ceilings and walls;
4) use color palettes with vibrant shades like coral or mint green;
5) create an eclectic, bohemian style by using textiles and furniture that doesn’t match together.
Create a Space That Reflects Who You Are Now
Your home should be a reflection of who you are and what you love. If your style has changed since you first moved in, it’s time to update your space to reflect your new taste. Here are eight ways to get started:
1) Combine your favorite vintage pieces with modern furnishings for an eclectic look.
2) Upgrade the lighting by adding sconces or chandeliers to create a moodier atmosphere.
3) Update the paint color with one that reflects your personality (e.g., bright green).
4) Add plants – they’ll make you feel happy!
Look at Furniture from New Perspectives
When it comes to furniture, your grandma always knows best. After all, she’s been around a lot longer than you have and has probably seen a thing or two in her day. Here are eight ways your stylish grandma would tell you to decorate your home:
Don’t be afraid to mix and match.Your grandma’s generation was all about mixing and matching different patterns and textures to create a unique look. So go ahead and mix that floral sofa with the striped armchair. In fact, throw in some zebra pillows while you’re at it! It may seem like a crazy combination now, but just wait until everyone starts asking where they can get those pillows for themselves. Trust me—your grandkids will thank you for introducing them to their style icon of the century.
Add Comfortable Seating
Your grandmother always had a comfy place for you to sit when you came over, and there’s a reason for that. A comfortable place to sit makes your home more inviting and makes guests feel welcome. Plus, it’s just more comfortable to live in a home with comfortable seating.