If you’re like most people, your home gets more use and wear-and-tear than any other place you spend time in. That’s why it can be especially important to try to make your home as comfortable and inviting as possible, whether it’s your first house or your fifth apartment. Here are the top 20 ways to love your home, including some practical tips and suggestions that will help you get the most out of living at your address.
1) We own our homes for 1/3 of our lives
We spend a lot of time at home. In fact, we spend about one third of our lives at home. That’s a lot of time! So it makes sense that we should make an effort to love our homes. Here are the top ways to do just that:
- Get rid of the clutter. Clutter can really bring down the energy in a space. If you want to love your home, get rid of the stuff you don’t need or use. Donate or sell things you haven’t used in a year, and if you still aren’t sure whether something is worth keeping, give it away for free on Craigslist. The less stuff there is to clean and maintain, the easier life will be for both you and your family members. Plus, all the extra storage space might come in handy someday. Win-win!
- Put up some artwork. A few well-chosen pieces of art can instantly add personality to any room. They also create focal points where people naturally look first when they enter a room. Add framed photos and paintings to your walls, too – these personal touches really help make a house feel like home.
2) Homes can easily be improved
Making your home a place you love can improve your quality of life and make day-to-day living more enjoyable. Here are the top eight ways to love your home:
- Keep it clean and organized – A clean and well-organized home will make you feel more relaxed and at ease. Plus, it’ll be easier to find things when you need them!
- Make it comfortable – Add some cozy blankets, pillows, and throws to make your home more inviting and comfortable.
- Change up the decor – Painting walls or changing out light fixtures will instantly change how your space feels.
- Create a sanctuary from chaos – Find a little corner in your home that is just for you, whether it’s an office or just a nice reading spot with plenty of books and snacks nearby.
- Unplug – Put away all your electronics and enjoy being away from technology for a while.
- Pamper yourself – Take time each week to give yourself a little pampering session, whether it’s by taking a bubble bath or by giving yourself extra attention when getting ready in the morning.
- Treat others with kindness – If you want to see happiness return to your home, start treating people better – not only those inside your house but also those outside of it too!
- Hang artwork on the wall – It doesn’t have to be expensive, even if you’re not feeling creative there are lots of options for custom framing using IKEA frames.
3) Living in a home you love makes you happy
Your home is your refuge from the outside world. It’s where you relax, unwind, and feel most comfortable. When you love your home, you take better care of it. Plus, living in a home you love can actually make you happier. Here are the top ways to show your home some love:
- Keep it clean and clutter-free
- Make sure it’s well-lit
4) Beauty brings happiness, which brings peace and success
There’s something about coming home to a space that feels like yours. It could be the way your favorite plant greets you at the door or the way your dog always knows when you’ve had a tough day. Regardless of what it is, your home should make you feel happy, peaceful, and successful.
5) A great place to live adds value
When you love your home, you take better care of it. Not only does this make it a great place to live for you and your family, but it also adds value to your home. A well-cared for home is worth more than a neglected one, and potential buyers will be willing to pay more for a home they know has been loved.
6) A home shows who you are
Your home is a reflection of your taste, your style, and your personality. It’s where you entertain guests, relax after a long day, and make memories with your family.
7) Everyone wants what they don’t have
It’s easy to look at someone else’s home and think that they have it all together. But the truth is, everyone has their own struggles, no matter how perfect their home may seem. You love your home, even when it doesn’t feel like it’s good enough.
8) If you don’t take care of your stuff, it will show
We all know the saying treat yo’ self – but what about treating your stuff right? If you take care of your belongings, they will last longer and look better.