When I first moved out of my parent’s house, I was so excited to be free from any rules. But within the first week, I realized that I didn’t have any basic home necessities, like towels or pots and pans. The more time I spent in my apartment, the more it began to feel like just another place to live instead of my home sweet home where my family and friends could come over at any time without asking for permission or making dinner reservations beforehand. That’s why I wanted to share with you my 10 tips for making your house feel like home!
1) Is your house lived in?
Most people’s homes are a reflection of their own personal style. But what happens when your home starts to feel more like a showroom than a comfortable place to relax? Danny Seo, an eco-lifestyle expert, and author, has some tips for making your house feel more like home.
- Bring in nature.
- Bring in personal photos.
- Make your bed every day.
- Get rid of clutter.
- Cook at home more often.
2) Can you tell where things belong?
There’s nothing worse than coming home to a cluttered, messy house. But taking the time to declutter and organize your space can make a world of difference. Not only will it make your home look nicer, but it’ll also help you feel more relaxed and at ease.
3) Does it have character?
When it comes to your home, having character is key. It’s what makes your house feel like a home, after all. Here are Danny Seo’s 10 tips for adding character to your home:
- Start with the front door. Make sure it’s a color you love and that reflects your personality.
- Curate your art collection. Choose pieces that make you happy and that tell a story about who you are.
4) Are you comfortable?
If you’re not comfortable in your own home, it’s time to make some changes. After all, your home should be your haven. Here are Danny Seo’s top 10 tips for making your house feel like home:
- Get rid of anything that doesn’t bring you joy.
- Make your bed every day.
- Create a cozy reading nook.
- Keep fresh flowers around.
- Have plenty of throws and pillows for cozying up.
5) Do the furniture fit the space?
One of the most important things to creating a cozy home is making sure your furniture fits the space. Too much furniture in a small space will make it feel cramped and cluttered, while too little furniture in a large space will make it feel cold and empty. The key is to find a balance that makes the most of your space without making it feel cramped.
6) Are there personal items around?
I’m a big believer in personal items. I think they make a house feel like a home. Items that remind you of happy memories or that have sentimental value are the perfect way to add personality to your space. Plus, they make great conversation starters! Here are 10 things that say home to me:
- Family photos
- A comfy couch
- A collection of books
- Artwork by kids or grandkids
- A well-stocked bar
7) Do you have a place for everything?
According to Danny Seo, decluttering is key to making your house feel like a home. By getting rid of anything you don’t use or need, you can create a serene and welcoming environment. Furthermore, it’s important to have a place for everything in your home so that it feels organized and put-together. Here are Danny’s tips for achieving this:
- Get rid of anything you don’t use or need.
- Create a place for everything.
8) Does it reflect your personality?
- Pick a color scheme and stick to it.
- Bring in natural elements.
- Surround yourself with things that make you happy.
- Make your space work for you.
- Keep it clean and clutter-free.
9) Do you play music while working on it?
Yes! I love listening to music while I work. It helps me focus and get into a flow state. Plus, it’s just enjoyable. Here are Danny Seo’s tips for making your house feel like home – Surround yourself with things that you enjoy and make you happy
- Make sure the space is inviting to spend time in
- Get rid of any clutter or messes
- Make it your own
10) Is it clean enough to eat off of the floor, but not so much that you want to walk barefoot (or so clean you can’t be relaxed)?
Having a clean home is important to Danny Seo, but it’s also important that the home is comfortable and inviting. A home should be a place where you can relax and feel at ease, not a place where you’re constantly worrying about dirt and grime. Here are Danny’s tips for keeping your home clean without making it too sterile :
Keep all of your pets out of the kitchen: Dogs like to lick their paws after they go outside, which leaves paw prints on any hard surface in your house. Cats love to explore high places like countertops and shelves – so make sure you get them down! The number one culprit of dust bunnies and pet hair carpets. Make sure to vacuum often with an upholstery attachment (or even better yet, hire someone to do it!)